In July 2012, Jeanette Yoffe, an adoptee and former foster youth felt compelled to start a non-profit organization she calls the Celia Center, after her first mother...Celia. Jeanette was separated from Celia at the age of 15 months due to her mother's mental illness. She has always thought... "had my first mother received support services as well as my foster and adoptive family, I would have remained in contact with Celia and my biological familiy. Even if I could not have lived with them permanently, I would have understood that it was not my fault or my mother's fault for our separation." The not knowing what had happened to her first mother caused her much strife and pain throughout her life.
Jeanette's mission today is to keep connections sacred within the child's family of origin.
CELIA CENTER MISSION
Celia Center addresses the critical needs of the Foster Care / Adoption community by providing affordable mental health, education, and support services to all members of the bio-foster-adoption constellation, including professional social workers, nurses, case managers and therapists. We utilize our innovative programs, unique therapeutic interventions and national network of allies to create a safe and supportive environment to nurture and preserve strong, healthy families in any orientation or socio-economic status.
Celia Center Programs will include:
- Mental Health Program: Individual, group and family therapy sessions provided by licensed and trained professionals to people involved in the Foster care / Adoption process.
- Educational Program: Structured “best practice” training’s for parents, educators, social workers, therapists and lawyers who work with this demographic. We provide training’s for birth parents, foster parents, adoptive parents, as well as county and private agency social workers, county mental health therapists, and clinicians in private practice. Educational conferences and seminars are offered on a regular basis for parents and professionals in child welfare. Celia Center develops curricula and trains adoptive, foster and birth parents for Los Angeles County.
- Community Program: Open workshops and educational seminars with various experts in different aspects of the foster care / adoption issues. These will include reference materials, resources and extensive Q&A with participants.
- Support Program: Regular, on-going meetings such as “Adopt Salon” and “Teen Adopt Salon”, a free, monthly support and information sharing group for members of this demographic and the general public alike.
- Awareness Program: Small and medium scale performing arts and literary events, such as play and poetry readings, concerts and talkbacks that highlight or put an interesting focus on a particular aspect of the adoption / Foster care system and the people involved with it.
- Awards Program: Championing, supporting and helping to spread the word of individuals, programs or services that are making a positive impact on the lives of the people involved with us.
- Development of Interventions Program: Original therapeutic play therapy interventions, developed by the Center.
To Support the journey of the Celia Center and make a donation please donate here....
or you can mail your donation to
Celia Center, Inc.
2001 S.Barrington Avenue, Suite 214
Los Angeles, CA 90025